Thursday, November 08, 2007

Turning Mountains into Mollhills to Solve Global Warming



I have to admit that I've thought Carbon sequestering has been a dead end idea since the first time I heard of it, but now scientists at Harvard are taking the cake. Their idea? Create Hydrochloric acid out of sea-water, I suppose using atomic energy or at least something that doesn't create more CO2, then dump it onto a very large pile of volcanic rock -- perhaps the island of Hawaii -- dissolving it until it becomes a mere nub of its former self, and the toxic effluent will runoff to the ocean, sequestering carbon therein and feeding coral reefs at the same time. WOW! What a deal!

I don't suppose anyone at Harvard has every considered addressing the root of the CO2 excess problem, such as advocating the use of nuclear power or weening Americans off of their gas guzzling SUVs (I picked SUVs only for example, don't go getting your shorts in a knot). I went to the elementary school to vote the other day and there was a gaggle of Ford Expedition-sized SUVs in the parking lot, undoubtedly owned by soccer moms at the PTA meeting. Given that my town is about 40 miles away from any gainful employment, then each of the those vehicles should go through about 8 to 10 gallons of gas a day just commuting. I'm guessing for that bunch, melting mountains into the sea is a more palatable idea than getting rid of their behemoths.

1 Comments:

Blogger bill said...

OK, this is a dumb idea, but maybe if we hadn't addressed the acid rain problem, the global warming problem wouldn't've come up.

August 07, 2008 8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home